Saturday, February 19, 2011

What are your goals this year?

Hey all,
I hope your year is going well so far. I am done with this winter thing. Although I htink we may be due for another snow before it's over, which is fine.
Today I want to talk about goals. What is your goal?
First, what IS a goal?
Here's what one internet dictionary says - "the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end."
I like to work toward a goal in all parts of my life, and certainly my running is no different. In fact, in my running is is probably easier than other parts of life. It's easy to define a goal and with a little research and hard effort, you can achieve that goal.
2011
In thinking about my goal for 2011 I first thought that I would like to finish two 100 mile races this year and one of them under 24 hours. Since I finished my first 100 mile event last year, The Burning River, I thought this might be a good next step.
Realization - I realized a few things in thinking about my goal for this year:
1. I love running
2. I have become much more skilled and experienced at learning to run faster. There is much more to it than just taking off and running fast.
3. I love running far. The 100 mile race was the toughest event I have ever done. I proved to myself that I could do it. The was my goal.
4. I am not getting younger. Oh how it would be nice to not grow old, that isn't how we are built. We have an expiration date. The goal is to have the best time and be the best person you can before you expire.

In thinking about all of these the last one kind of hit me. I realized that I have done the100 mile event. I loved it and I will do it again. I guarantee you that. But I realized that I only have so many fast years in me. I have learned how to train to be fast but that has taken years to get to that point and lots of trial and error.
I love running fast and being able to hold that speed for as long as I can.
In thinking about my fastest races two events stand out: my marathon PR (Personal Record) and my best 50 mile time.
So this year's goal for me is this:
Break my Marathon PR, which is 3:09:29.
Break 9 hours in the 50 mile race.

I ran my marathon PR in 1995 in Columbus, Ohio. The course has changed a bit since then. It is essentially quite similar. My goal is to beat my PR at this year's Columbus Marathon. I will do it. Even if I do it by one second, I will still do it.

The first 50 mile race I ran I ran in 9:22. I feel good about being able to break 9 hours in this event this year. I will attempt it at The North Face Mohican 50 mile trail race in Loudonville, Ohio.

So how about you? What is your goal this year?
Comment back to me your goal and let's keep track of training and progress and reach our goal together. I feel that by keeping tabs on training for each other that we can hit our goals together.
Come on people, let's do it!
Thanks and Happy Running!
Steve


1 comment:

  1. The only goal so far this year is my first 50K on March 27th. That being the case I'm trying not get too preoccupied with time and pace and want to merely finish strong and comfortable. If this event goes well I will look for others later this year. Although truth be told, I'd like to finish as close as possible to 5 hours and 30 minutes and no longer than 6 hours...but I didn't just "say" that.

    ReplyDelete