Thursday, July 29, 2010

Running far to fight cancer

Hey all!
I hope that the Summer is going good for everyone and that your running is going well. If you are training for a Fall Marathon or other event, stick to that plan. If you don't have a plan, contact me. I can help.
I want to let you know about a race that I ran in this past weekend and the fact that I am using this run to raise money for LIVESTRONG to fight cancer. The race was the Burning River 100 mile trail race. This was my first try (and finish) at the 100 mile distance. I have had great training leading up to the race, thank you Jim Smith, and I felt stoked and excited to toe the line at 5 a.m. on Saturday (Damn that was early).
I am happy to report that I FINISHED the race in 25:58 and came in 82nd place out of 270 that started the race.
Here is a link to the race website:
http://www.burningriver100.org/



LIVESTRONG
I am using this event to raise money for LIVESTRONG. You know, the yellow silicone bracelets that Lance Armstrong created and made famous. His foundation raises money to fight cancer and to fund research to find a cure. I feel deep in my bones that this is a great organization and I am passionate about raising money to fight this awful disease and to help those with it fight and survive.
My Aunt Sarah Handwerk died of cancer in 2007 after a long fight. She was a strong, courageous woman and I admire her greatly. I hope my daughter grows up to embody those traits. I ran this race in her honor and I thought about her all day. I ran this race in her honor because I want to celebrate her memory and I can't think of a better way than for me to carry her memory with me all day. She helped get me through this tough event. If she can fight cancer as hard as she did. If people who live courageously with cancer and fight it every day can do what they do, then I can run 100 miles in all of their honor and I did so proudly.
I would love to give you the opportunity to donate to my cause and to honor those that you know who may have been touched by cancer.
Please click on this link to go to my donation page:
http://fundraising.livestrong.org/grassroots2010/runningfartofightcancer
I greatly appreciate any donation.
Join me and donate today.
I will have a more detailed race report next week but I wanted to publish this blog first.
Thanks Aunt Sarah! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment